Finding a lead contractor

If your home was built after 1978, the Illinois Department of Public Health has a searchable list of lead-safe contractors who do lead abatement as well as lead-safe renovation and remodeling work.

However, if your home was built before 1978, be sure that the lead contractor has been trained under the EPA's new Repair, Renovate, and Paint Rule. Find an RRP-certified renovator in your area. Find an EPA accredited trainer (for contractors).

In all instances, make sure the contractor you hire knows about and performs lead-safe work practices.

If you would like to hire a contractor for lead abatement projects, you must hire a lead abatement professional. Abatement is a set of activities aimed specifically at eliminating lead or lead hazards. EPA has regulations for certification and training of abatement professionals. If your goal is to eliminate lead or lead hazards, contact the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323) for more information.

| More
Additional information for…
Property owners
  • The do's and don'ts of home renovation
  • What to look for in a lead contractor
  • How to find a lead contractor
  • Required disclosures to tenants
  • Right of inspection
  • Right of notification of lead hazards
  • Notifying landlords about possible lead in homes
  • If a landlord won't address a lead hazard
Childcare providers
  • Childcare provider responsibilities
  • Educational information
© 2005–2019 Lead Safe Illinois. All rights reserved.